So sometimes it’s close to grocery day and you have some random items left in your fridge, not enough to make a meal, but enough to make you feel guilty if you let it go to waste. I personally hate waste. I also hate going to the grocery store so I will eat myself out of house and home before I let anything hit that plastic garbage bag (even if it’s gross) 😉
Anyway, this recipe is a newbie, discovered out of necessity, as most of my meals are, but delicious nonetheless. If you make enough of it you can eat off of it for days. It may make your breath stink, with all that garlic, but a small price to pay compared to $25 for delivery each night, or spending hours you don’t have slaving in the kitchen, wouldn’t you say? I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I did, and most of all, I hope you enjoy how easy it is to make!
- Whole-wheat spaghetti noodles
- Extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Chopped onion
- Minced garlic
- Ripped kale
- Baby carrots
- Extra-firm tofu
- Vegetable broth
- Ground Pepper
- Brown rice
Prepare the Tofu:
- Drain extra firm tofu using paper towels or a kitchen towel.
- Usually, I say “for a minimum of 3 hours,” but because this is a soup dish it is of less importance that the tofu is dry.
- Drain and dry the tofu first thing, then cube and add tofu to dish when you hit that step below.
Prepare the Broth:
- Half a carton of vegetable broth (or as much as you like, to taste).
- Quarter water, in proportion to the amount of vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil, with EVOO, salt, and pepper, to taste.
Prepare the Vegetables:
- Put in the brown rice.
- If this is stove cooked brown rice it will likely need a while before it gets soft and is ready to eat, however, if it’s microwavable then save this step until last and then add it in at the end…stir…and Bon Appetit!
- Put whole baby carrots in a bowl.
- Half them, if desired, by simply snapping them in half.
- Take three stalks of kale and remove the leaves from the stalks.
- Rip the kale leaves into smaller pieces of your desired size with your hands, or cut with a knife if you so choose.
- Place the smaller pieces into the bowl with the carrots.
- Place the remaining leaves in a Tupperware container for a salad, later recipe, side dish, etc.
- Place minced garlic and chopped onions into the bowl.
- Remember that both garlic and onions have a pungent taste and smell, so a little goes a long way, but again, add to taste.
- Put vegetables into the boiling water and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Put a dash of Spice Islands Oregano in the mixture.
- Put extra-firm tofu pieces into the mixture.
- Let cook for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables have begun to soften.
Prepare the Pasta:
- Add spaghetti noodles to mixed vegetables and broth mixture.
- Stir frequently and check for noodle tenderness after 10 minutes.
- Lower heat and allow soup to sit until you are ready to eat!